The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy
Creating Connection 3rd Ed
Since its original publication in 1996, The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy has been the definitive guide for couple therapists, supervisors, and students wishing to practice emotionally focused therapy.
This cutting-edge third edition addresses recent changes in the field of couple therapy, including updated research results relating to clinical interventions, expanded understandings of emotion regulation, adult attachment and neuroscience, and dynamic EFT applications for a range of issues such as depression, anxiety, sexual disorders, and PTSD. Chapters introduce micro-interventions for use in EFT couple sessions, as well as a systematic presentation of a macro set of interventions called the EFT Tango. Clinical examples are included throughout, bringing the in-session process of change alive, and two case chapters offer in-depth commentaries of Stage 1 and Stage 2 EFT sessions.
Written by the leading authority on emotionally focused therapy, this third edition is an essential reference on all aspects of EFT and its uses for mental health professionals in the field of couple and marital therapy.
About the Author
Susan M. Johnson, Ed.D., is the leading developer of Emotionally Focused Therapy (or EFT). She is a Professor Emeritus of Clinical Psychology at the University of Ottawa, Distinguished Research Professor in the Marital and Family Therapy Program at Alliant University in San Diego, and Director of the International Centre for Excellence in EFT.
Table of contents
1. The Field of Couple Therapy and EFT
2. An Attachment View of Love: The EFT Approach
3. The EFT Theory of Change: Within and Between
4. The Basics of EFT Interventions: Emotions and the Macro-Intervention, the EFT Tango
5. Basic EFT Micro Skills: Experiential and Systemic
6. Assessment: Defining the Dance and Listening to the Music
7. Changing the Music: Toward De-Escalation/Stabilization
8. Deepening Engagement: The Beginning of Stage 2
9. Reaching for Secure Connection
10. The Consolidation of a Secure Base: Stage3
11. Key Clinical Issues and Solutions: Becoming an EFT Therapist
12. EFFT: Emotionally Focused Family Therapy
13. Relationship Traumas: Addressing Attachment Injuries
14. Live at an EFT Externship: A Stage 1 EFT Session
15. A Stage 2 EFT Session